Tramp oil and solids constitute the standard contaminants which can foul metalworking fluids utilized in the machining process. Tramp oil is a general term used to describe free oil introduced to the coolant. This can occur via the lubrication system on the machine tool. These oils can include way oil, hydraulic oil, and spindle oils. Tramp oil can also be introduced by the metal being machined. This typically involves rust inhibitors on the raw stock rinsing off into the coolant. Tramp oil is also the term generally used to describe the free oil that accumulates as a by-product of the cleaning process in aqueous parts washers.
Tramp oil removal involves taking contaminated oils out of the coolant, to prolong its lifespan and reduce potential wear and tear in the machining process. Removing tramp oil has a number of benefits such as:
- Greatly extended tool life due to better heat transfer characteristics
- Improved parts finish due to cleaner coolant
- Increased productivity due to less machine downtime and maintenance
- Reduced operating costs resulting from lower disposal costs for waste coolant
- Increased savings due to a reduced requirement for new coolant
- Eliminate smell and smoke associated with oil laden coolant
- Reduction in operator dermatitis due to contaminated coolant
A Variety of Tramp Oil Skimmers to Suit Your Needs
Keller Products offers a wide range of superior products that can help you keep your coolant clean:
- Our TKO line of tramp oil separators are designed as dedicated units to be attached to an individual machine tool. They can be magnetically mounted to the side of the machine tool or positioned on the floor next to the CNC machine. Their performance can be augmented by adding bag filters and/or magnets for greater solids removal capabilities.
- Four different portable models to handle any shop requirement. All portable units include bag filters for filtration as low as 1 micron.
- High temperature skimming units for oil removal from aqueous parts washers
- Unique Black Magic belt skimmer package which magnetically mounts to the machine sump. Eliminates the classic problems of removing excess coolant, and overflowing collection containers.
- Inexpensive ECO units with submersible electric pumps
Click on one of the images above to view details on our tramp oil removal product ranges.
The Unique Features of Keller Tramp Oil Coalescers
All of the pumping units utilize the patented Keller oil coalescing package. The stacked disc design gives the coalescing package tremendous surface area in a compact package. This allows for superior oil separation capabilities in smaller, more cost-effective designs than conventional units. In addition, our separators include:
- A rugged high flow 1/2” air-operated diaphragm pump for rapid tramp oil removal, that also circulates and aerates the entire sump
- Compact inlet devices that can access any sump
- All the required hoses and fittings are provided when you purchase one of our tramp oil separators for a hassle-free experience
- Our tramp oil separators can all ship via UPS, and are easily set up in minutes, requiring minimal operator attention during operation
Click on one of the images above for further information, model information and specifications on Keller tramp oil removal products.